Dangerous foods for your pets

Posted on 02/26/2016 - 09:11 by Kara

We have put together a handy list of some of the most toxic human foods to avoid feeding your fur' iends.

Avocado

Avocados are primarily a problem for birds, rabbits, donkeys and horses. For birds ingesting avocados, this can lead to cardiovascular damage, followed by death. However, in horses and donkeys, it often leads to less serious damage, being swelling around the  head and neck area.

Coconut and coconut oil

In small amounts, this will not cause serious harm. However, the flesh and milk of fresh coconuts contain oils that are likely to cause an upset stomach, loose stools and even diarrhea.

Milk and Dairy

As pets do not have large amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down lactose in dairy based products such as milk, dairy can lead to digestive upsets such as diarrhea.

Onions, Garlic and Chives

Cats are often more susceptible than dogs, however this does not mean it is safe for dogs. Ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal infection and even lead to the damage of red blood cells.

Nuts

Nuts such as almonds, walnuts and pecans contain large amounts of oils and fats which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and in some cases can even cause pancreatitis in pets. Macadamia nuts have a different effect on pets and can cause weakness, tremors, vomiting, depression and even hyperthermia in dogs - these signs occur within 12 hours of ingestion and symptoms can last up to 48 hours.

Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine

As these products contain methylxanthines, ingestion may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizure and in some cases, even death.

Grapes and raisins

The toxic substance in grapes and raisins is still unknown but these fruits can lead to kidney failure so it would be strongly advised to avoid feeding this to your pet at all cost!

Xylitol

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products such as gum, candy, baked goods and human toothpaste. The ingestion of xylitol can cause an insulin release in most animals which can in turn lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycaemia (lowered sugar levels). The symptoms of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination which can progress to seizures. Liver failure and elevated liver enzymes can be seen within a few days.

There are many more foods that you should not feed your pets and we would advise either researching or speaking to your veterinarian before giving your pets anything out of the ordinary!

 

 

*Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace a consultation with your veterinarian. It is best to contact your veterinarian immediately should you have any concerns or queries regarding your pet's health.